Saturday, January 29, 2011

Super Healthy Morning Muffins


These are my favorite muffins to make for a breakfast that fills you up, is good for you and makes you feel like you can take on the day and do anything! They are surprisingly moist thanks to nutritious add ins like carrots, banana and raisins. My husband has been suffering from gluten intolerance for a long time so I try to modify recipes to make them even healthier and suite him. For this recipe I made a flour blend of almond flour, brown rice flour and a small portion of unbleached white flour rather than using straight all purpose white flour and I substituted a sweetener that I like to use called stevia for the brown sugar. I have made these with all purpose flour and brown sugar before and with my substitutions the muffins came out even fluffier and softer than usual. I was so pleased with the results and so was my husband! I also mixed the wet and dry ingredients separately the night before so that I could just throw them together quickly in the morning so the raisins soaked over night and I think it plumped them up. I also sometimes add in nuts such as chopped pecans or walnuts which add nice texture but I didn't have any on hand this time so they were left out, its a really adaptable recipe.These are really great tasting, nutritious muffins that you can feel so good serving to your family.

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) *alternatively I used 1/3 cup almond meal, 2/3 cup brown rice flour and 1/4 cup all purpose flour.
  • 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar *alternatively I used 1 tsp of liquid stevia
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda *I upped this to 1 Tbsp
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder *I upped this to 1 Tbsp
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg *I upped this to 1 tsp
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt *I upped this to 1 tsp
  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup skim milk *I used whole because that's what we had
  • 4 medium carrots, shredded
  • 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
I mixed all of the dry ingredients except the raisins together well and placed in an air tight container. I combined the wet ingredients together including the raisins and carrots and stored in an air tight container in the fridge overnight. In the morning I just combined the wet and dry ingredients in a large bowl and the scooped the muffins with an ice cream scoop into a well greased tin. Bake for 25 mins at 400 and you've got some super healthy morning muffins on your hands!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Bauble images by Clarice Gomes